Table of Contents
There are many perks of cross-platform app development, but the developers must sacrifice the app's performance or the user experience. Although many game-changing cross-platform app development techniques exist, they sometimes fail to replicate the charm of native apps.
For business owners, the choice between native and cross-platform app development will always be there. Moreover, the expansion of technology and the introduction of new-age native app development frameworks such as NativeScript and React Native have taken this debate to a new level.
Now for the benefit of entrepreneurs and budding businesses, we have made a detailed analysis that will help them choose wisely between NativeScript and React Native. By comparing these technologies, we will also get a firm idea of the problems they uniquely solve and their shortcomings.
What Is NativeScript?
When we talk about NativeScript vs React Native, the developers in NativeScript don't have to use wrappers to re-purpose the third-party libraries from CocoaPods, Maven, etc. NativeScript also supports leading frameworks such as Angular and Vue.js.
Advantages of NativeScript
After understanding NativeScript technology, in brief, it is time to look at its high-flying advantages. It is a popular framework that provides an excellent amalgamation of performance and features.
· The application developed through NativeScript gives a complete look and feel of a Native app
· It supports existing and new libraries and uses Command Line Interface (CLI) to goof effect
· It is highly compatible with the latest and upcoming mobile OS versions, as NativeScript keeps updating its features regularly
Disadvantages of NativeScript
Just like any other app development framework, NativeScript has its share of shortcomings as well. A piece of detailed knowledge about the disadvantages will help the organizations select correctly between NativeScript and React Native.
· The available UI components are not entirely free; some are paid as well
· It doesn't support either HTML or DOM (Document Object Model)
· The latter wins the race when we talk about debugging in NativeScript vs React Native. Debugging is tough in NativeScript, as one needs to use an emulator or a device
· The developers in NativeScript cannot use some of the needed libraries, such as jQuery
· The developers' community in NativeScript keeps piling on the documentation and resources
· It becomes necessary for the developers to know about Android and iOS APIs to access the platform's features
What is React Native?
React Native empowers front-end developers to work extensively with web-based technologies and create product-ready and dynamic apps for mobile app platforms. Moreover, the developers can make the code once and use it to develop both iOS and Android apps. This results in saving a lot of resources and time as well.
Advantages of React Native
NativeScript vs React Native has a very cut-throat competition. Therefore, to select the proper app development framework, it is essential to see the perks of React Native in detail:
· As React Native has strong support from Facebook, it has a large developers' community
· Another advantage of React Native in NativeScript vs React Native is that it supports Virtual DOM to amplify the performance of each mobile application
· It has an auto-reload option that enables the developers to spot the changes immediately without needing to recompile the app
· There is no need to get an App Store or Play Store approval to upload the app with React Native
· The apps built with React Native render a better native-rich user experience
Disadvantages of React Native
Businesses need to be aware of some loopholes in React native to make a more informed decision. Let us have a look:
· If there are any device-related issues, it will take more time to resolve in React Native
· React Native is more suitable for developing iOS apps as compared to Android apps
· The apps made from React Native consume more device memory
· You need to add platform-specific modules in React Native to use the device camera.
NativeScript Vs React Native: A Comparative Overview
After analyzing both NativeScript and React Native, the competition between the two app development platforms is very stiff. Therefore, to make the selection more accessible for the business houses, we have curated a list of different paradigms and have tested the performance of NativeScript vs React Native; please have a look.
In terms of popularity, both NativeScript vs React Native has a loyal user base. React Native is a bit more popular concerning NativeScript as it is easier to find and hire developers here. Moreover, due to its prominent developer community, developers have unconditional support during the app development process.
Regarding web frameworks, Angular.js, Angular 2, and Vue.js have been outclassed by React Native. Developers seem to favor React Native more.
Winner: React Native
NativeScript and React A developers with only JS skills cannot handle natively. Let's consider this. Initially, NativeScript will be simpler for developers with an Angular background. On the other hand, programmers with a React background will find the shift to React Native easier.
Winner: Both are equal
Now when it comes to code sharing in NativeScript vs React Native, both app development frameworks have many components. When applied, they compile to native-default styles, which may need customized styling to meet the needs of the developing app's platform. To achieve a more realistic native appearance and feel, React Native puts a greater emphasis on customizing the elements for each forum. On the other hand, NativeScript is more of a proponent of "write once, run everywhere," even though the components can also be separately customized to mimic those of native programs. However, the percentage for code sharing drops when many native platform components are used. Moreover, it is necessary to have a leading React Native app development company or NativeScript App development by your side so as to avail the benefits of code sharing
Whether React Native or NativeScript, as much as 90% of the code can be shared in the apps, both app development frameworks focus on developing more custom-styled apps so that the process of transferring the codebase can be simplified.
Winner: Both are equal
Integrating the Native APIs
Easy integration with the Native APIs is necessary to make the functionalities of the cross-platform apps more sophisticated. The developers can access native device functionality using React Native's basic API modules. The community has created the necessary API bridges for all but the most complex operations due to the abundance of modules already available. However, if your application needs a not supported feature, you will have to create the bridge on your own. Even though React Native offers official tools for creating API bridges, using them requires more than intermediate fluency in native languages.
Winner: NativeScript is the Winner
The app development platforms NativeScript vs React Native performance is similar. Although there may be variations based on the type of application, venue, viewing device, and framework version, for instance, apps with plenty of animations can easily reach frame rates of 60 frames per second using both NativeScript and React Native.
Winner: Both are the winner
Selecting between two of the leading app development frameworks can be tricky. So to conclude, we have made a small list of pointers that will help you summarize the selection process between NativeScript vs React Native.
When to Use React Native
· Your focus is on building an MVP very soon
· You don't wish to use third-party plugins for your app platform
· The mobile apps should be made with a specific user interface
· You aim to create apps that render communications and update in real-time
When to Use NativeScript
· Creating a platform-neutral application is the priority
· You wish to develop extendable APIs utilizing the built-in and free plugins
· Enhance app's performance is one of your primary objectives
At Third Rock Techno, we focus on understanding the requirements of our clients and render them suitable NativeScript or React Native solutions.
Our experienced project managers and developers have in-depth knowledge of the market and thus can suggest the proper app development framework according to the client's requirements. Please have a look at our work portfolio and understand our prowess.