Ranorex is a powerful tool for the automation of testing It is a GUI test automation platform that is used to test cloud, desktop, and mobile applications.
- Automated GUI Testing
- Mobile and Web Testing
- Cross-browser Testing
- Cross-Platform Testing
- Regression Testing
Advantages of Ranorex:
Mobile or web platforms support.
- Mobile (native Android app)
- Mobile (native iOS app)
- Cross-Platform support - The same script runs on a different device and even on different mobile OS (Android and iOS)
- Internet Explorer
- Customizable test report Engine.
- Continuous integration tools support.
- Support for standard programming languages like C# and VB.Net for scripting.
To download the free trial version click here.
After downloading and installing the Ranorex studio the first screen appears as below
To create a solution click on the type of solution you want to create like Desktop, Web, Mobile, and Blank.
Create a Solution:
- Also, you can create the solution from the file menu, choose to create a new solution using Solution wizard or using the keyboard shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+N
Choose the type of solution want to create:
- Desktop - for the windows application
- Web - for web applications with a different browser
- Mobile - for the app that works on iOS and Android devices
- Blank - used for all the type of solution (Web and Mobile both)
Creating a WEB solution:
- Choose the Web from the solution wizard.
- Mention the name of the solution and the location where you want to save the solution along with the default browser where you want the test to run and the default URL of the web app you want to create solutions.
- On completing setup required for creating the solution the screen that will appear looks like below
- Double click on the open browser recording module which will open the recording. Open browser recording module already contains the base URL which you entered while creating the solution, default browser which you selected while creating a solution and the maximized mode of the browser which you can change by selecting the value from the dropdown.
Recording the Web test:
- Open any of the recording modules you want to record in the test suite that will allow recording the test case by clicking on the Record button. And on click of the record button takes you to the browser and allows you to record the actions. Also, you can manually add the actions from the set of actions that are already defined from the Add new action button.
And when completed with the recording actions click on the stop button in the recorder that will save all the actions and redirects you to the recorded module.
Run the recording and test suite:
- Close all the browser instances and click on the run button in the toolbar or the F5 key to run the test suite. If you only want to run the particular recording module and not the whole test suite click on the Run Recording button given beside the Record button.
In order to run the test suite close all the recording modules and go to the main test suite module and click on the run button in the toolbar or the F5 key.
- The browser selected in the wizard will automatically be set as setup action and a defined web address will be loaded and all the actions recorded will be executed. And then the browser will be closed automatically when teardown action will be called.
- On completion of the test run, the report will be generated and opened in a separate tab with the details like the endpoint where the test was run, Execution time, Operating system, Screen dimensions, OS Language, Duration taken to execute the test run, Total error, and warnings.
Also reports will be saved in the separate folder “Reports” from where we can access or open the report at any time.
Generate PDF report:
- Download Ranorex PDF Library.zip and place it in the Ranorex folder and extract all the file there itself.
- Right-click on References and go to manage packages and install “Ranorex ReportToPDF” plugin.
Right-click on References and go to manage packages and install “Ranorex ReportToPDF” plugin.On successfully installing the ReportToPDF the plugin will be then added to the references and will be shown in the references folder.
- Right-click on the solution name and go to Add Existing Item and choose the ReportToPDF.X.cs file from the folder.
After choosing the file, we will open a popup that will ask you to copy or link the selected file. Click on the copy button to copy the ReportToPDF.X.cs file to the solution.
On copying the file to the solution it will appear in the solution as below
Drag and Drop the ReportToPDF.X.cs in the teardown.
Connecting Excel sheet with Ranorex:
- Make an excel sheet with the entries that you declared as variable and want to access through Excel sheet.
- Right-click on the test cases folder and go to the Data source.
- Click on New dropdown and go to Excel connector.
- Browse the file name from the file folder where the excel sheet is located.
On selecting the file from the file folder will show the following screen
- Click on Apply and Ok button which will load the excel sheet data and will look something like this
- Again, click Apply and Ok button. On click of Apply and the Ok button will close the Data source popup.
- Go to the recording and declare the variable for which you want to access the data from the Excel sheet.
Click on the drop-down arrow allows you to declare the variable and provide the name to that particular variable.
- After declaring the variable shows the Unbound variable until the variable is bounded. To bound the variable with the data in the Excel sheet, double click on the New Connector which will open the popup for the data binding.
- Bind the variables with the value you want to access from the excel sheet by selecting the value to the respective variable you want to bind.
- Click Apply and Ok button on the bottom of the popup after binding the required variables and on applying the changes the popup will close automatically and the unbounded variables will be shown bound.
If you are looking to automated testing for your new or current project, we at Third Rock Techkno are always ready to get onboard and automate your testing.
· · · ·
Third Rock Techkno is a leading IT services company. We are a top-ranked web, voice and mobile app development company with over 10 years of experience. Client success forms the core of our value system.
We have expertise in the latest technologies including angular, react native, iOs, Android and more. Third Rock Techkno has developed smart, scalable and innovative solutions for clients across a host of industries.
Our team of dedicated developers combine their knowledge and skills to develop and deliver web and mobile apps that boost business and increase output for our clients.