Table of Contents
Node.js Popularity in 2020
As of early 2020, more than 50% of the developers use Node.js in their projects.
So what makes Node.js such a fan favorite? When you hire Node.js developers and ask them if Node.js is a good choice for your project, they will at once list numerous features that will convince you of its scalability and efficiency.
The developers have been operating on Node.js for a long time now. They have already curated a robust client database and are able to build and design effective websites using Node.js. So most of them don’t even bother to explore other alternatives.
For the ones who have recently tried Node.js, its efficient features have made the new-comers stick to the technology.
Node.js Development Trends in 2020
Node.js development trends in 2020 are largely dominated by some of the most beneficial aspects of the framework. So let us look at the most recent features of Node.js that have made it such a developer-friendly technology.
1. Serverless architecture in Node.js
Node.js is quite popular for its serverless architecture. So Node.js enables you to create an application without having to worry about the maintenance of servers.
A serverless architecture means reduced reliance on hardware and servers. As a result, the hardware and maintenance costs of node.js architecture is negligible.
Because of the serverless architecture, Node.js offers a number of benefits. The major advantages are improved code quality, diminished project cost, reusable code modules, and better flexibility.
2. Microservices facilitated by Node.js
Node.js includes a bunch of microservices that solidify the maintenance of the codes. Thus, it provides assistance to the serverless approach and is highly productive for large scale projects.
This feature enhances the functioning of an application and makes it faster. So a large number of businesses are already on the lookout for this feature to optimize their applications.
Because of microservices, Node.js developers can regulate and change the codes without affecting other modules of applications.
3. Node.js and real-time apps
Real-time apps have become an integral part of our routines now. From booking a cab to ordering food online, we don’t even realize how many times we use one or the other real-time app.
So what made these apps a reality? You guessed it right, it’s Node.js.
Real-time apps need lightweight processing with a strong backend and data serving platform. So a vast majority of real-time apps are powered by Node.js. That’s because Node.js is the best option out there that meets all the aforementioned requirements.
However, these real-time apps run a high risk of overloading the server. Node.js makes use of Event API and Web Sockets to simplify two- way communication. Thus, it solves the problem by making the collaboration environment update smoothly.
Apps that can be designed using Node.js include:
- Video conferencing apps
- Document sharing apps
- Online gaming apps
- Chatting Apps
4. GraphQL deployment in Node.js apps
GraphQL is a data querying and manipulation programming language for APIs that is developed by Facebook. In 2019, GraphQL saw the highest peak in its popularity. Interestingly, it is still growing and is all set to dominate Node.js development trends in 2020.
GraphQL enables developers to make use of the sources of multiple data. Additionally, it facilitates the workflow of an application on different platforms and offers sample placeholder structures for new features.
When you incorporate GraphQL in an existing or new Node.js application, its ability to fetch data increases by 50%.
5. Node.js in cloud computing
Migration to the cloud for improved performance and cost-efficiency is not a new phenomenon anymore. Owing to its serverless architecture feature, Node.js proves to be extremely efficient in building a cloud-based app.
Considering the popularity of Node.js, Google has made a range of Node.js tools available for developers. You can use these tools for faster cloud application development.
Besides building new cloud apps from scratch, you can also apply Node.js in your existing cloud apps. Thus, a business can scale its existing cloud apps within a limited budget using Node.js.
6. IoT development using Node.js
In its essence, Node.js serves as a runtime environment that runs an IoT software. Node.js microservices, real-time capabilities, and data-centric approaches are greatly beneficial in IoT development. Hence, it is one of the best alternatives for building IoT apps.
The majority of IoT applications use Node.js because it results in faster and real-time execution. Node.js occupies very little memory and demands low resource requirements on the server-side. Therefore, Node.js in IoT development is definitely one of the most influential Node.js development trends in 2020.
The size of the businesses goes on increasing at a rapid pace. So they are constantly searching frameworks that can comfortably adapt and scale.
Node.js is perfectly capable of offering scalability and flexibility to the developers. This makes it easier for web apps to offer better feature updates and host a wider audience seamlessly.
8. Use of Node.js in business app development
Most companies use Node.js for designing on-premise desktop apps or enterprise apps. Node.js has many strengths that make it a good fit for business app development:
- Outstanding I/O capabilities
- Light-weight code
- Fast solution development speed
The use of Node.js in business app development isn’t much of a recent advancement. However, it surely is going to remain a significant part of Node.js development trends in 2020.
Top Node.js Frameworks That Will Dominate 2020
Express.js is a web application framework for Node.js. This framework is rich in configuration and customization features. So it has emerged as one of the most developer-friendly Node.js frameworks. Following are some of the features and benefits of Express.js:
- It is relatively easy to configure and customize.
- You can easily integrate it with various databases like MongoDB, Redis, and MySQL.
- When used with Node.js, Express.js can build robust APIs for single-page, multi-page, and hybrid web apps.
- Express.js is excellent for designing an app that requires handling multiple requests and notifications from customers.
Cross-platform apps are ubiquitous now. Businesses are doing everything to ensure a smooth consumer experience as they move from one browser/device to another.
Meteor.js is more convenient than most other frameworks in building cross-platform applications because:
- Meteor.js paves the way for an innovative approach to scripting.
- It makes debugging easier by providing assorted packages and libraries with a testing tool.
- Vue, Angular, React and other third-party tools can easily be integrated with Meteor.js.
Koa.js is a smaller yet articulate and powerful Node.js framework. It is lightweight and facilitates speedy development of web applications. Some of the best Koa.js features are:
- It simplifies the process of programming through an upstream and downstream flow of control. As a result, Koa.js boosts productivity.
- Koa.js makes it possible for you to select the relevant modules for your web application. This is why it is one of the most flexible Node.js frameworks.
- Building an app using Koa.js makes it very fast because the framework opts for ES6 generators and eliminates callbacks.
- Koa.js is on the rise in popularity among the developers on GitHub. Moreover, it seems to be one of the rapidly rising Node.js development trends in 2020.
Nest.js is a meticulously constructed Node.js backend framework. It is very advantageous for the developers because it boosts their productivity. The main purpose of Nest.js is to build highly dependable server-side applications through rest API.
- Nest.js is a simple framework and it is easy to learn.
- Its lightweight framework can be applied to the ever-changing projects that require flexibility.
- Nest.js provides all the basic features such as OOP, FP, and FRP because it is built using the TypeScript language.
- Nest.js receives a CLI from Express.js that can be applied to design applications with a wide range of features.
What does the future hold?
Node.js is one of the very few software development technologies that has seen steady growth ever since it was launched.
It is incredibly useful in simplifying database workflows and offers great solutions for leveraging real-time data. The demand for Node.js is certainly set to increase even further mainly because it can build both client-side and server-side apps using one set of codes.
The use of node.js in building robust real-time apps is surely going to be a dominant trend in the upcoming years.
We are a team of expert developers, testers and business consultants who strive to deliver nothing but the best. Planning to build a completely secure and efficient Node app?'Hire NodeJS Developers'.
The Bottom Line
Third Rock Techkno specializes in providing top-notch Node.js development services with maximum ROI. To discuss the viability and costs associated with your project, set up a free consultation call with our experts here. You can also hire Node.Js developers from our pool of highly versatile developers.